Communiqué du Syndicat des employés municipaux de l'Afrique du Sud
Zim activists in danger of unlawful prison sentences - release them now !
SAMWU PRESS STATEMENT
14 March 2012
The South African Municipal Workers Union, SAMWU, is alarmed to hear reports that the six Zimbabwean activists who dared to show and discuss a film of the Egyptian Uprising last year in Harare and who are currently in court defending themselves, are in danger of receiving heavy prison sentences. The State is behaving in a hysterical and irrational manner.
The evidence put before the court by the State is flimsy, biased and shrouded in innuendo and paranoia. If the six are convicted it will mean that the security apparatus in Zimbabwe will have unlimited powers to send perfectly innocent people to prison for watching a film, or worse, for even daring to discuss events unfolding in another country! The so-called evidence emanating from the State verges on the paranoiac. As far as the State is concerned, this group of peaceful socialist activists were about to launch a revolution and take power from themselves!
In other words, if you watch a film about the events in Egypt, you must be preparing to organise a violent uprising in Harare! On this reasoning, thousands of those who tuned into Al Jazeera during the North African turmoil are guilty too!
Mr Michael Reza, for the State said in his submission that the six clearly conspired on February 19 last year, to cause public violence and the uprising had gone beyond the planning stage. “The uprising had gone beyond the planning stage. The date had been set (March 1, 2011), the place set, (Africa unity square) communication method agreed on (e-mail, texting).“All what remained was the arrival of the appointed date. The crime had been complete at that stage. “If the accused persons are found guilty as charged (and the State firmly believes that it should be so) then they should be punished heavily,” And “Were it not for the police, who scuttled the plan, Harare would have burnt on March 1, 2011.”he said.
Logic and reason are not being applied in this court by the State. Instead it is deploying the worst forms of guilt by association and conspiracy mongering to stifle any opposition to rule by Zanu-PF.
The State is desperate to close down any avenue for discussion in the build-up to the up-coming elections that might allow important questions to be raised about the illegal human rights abuses of Zanu-PF, the state of corruption and patronage at work in the country and the continuing poverty experienced by the masses. This is the real agenda. Speak out and you can expect to be punished and sent to prison.
This Union urges all of those who stand for democratic and human rights, including members of the tripartite alliance and all of civil society across the region to be ready to defend the six socialists who are currently in court if the outrageous and unjust convictions materialise. We must all be ready to send a message to the Zimbabwean Government that intolerance of this type is not acceptable and must be condemned in the strongest possible terms.
We sincerely hope that the MDC in Government will publicly disassociate itself from this travesty of justice, and along with civil society demand that the charges be dropped and those who have been victimised and vilified be properly compensated and given an official apology. Failure to do so will make everyone less secure in Zimbabwe.
The right to meet, discuss events in the world, share ideas and speak openly and freely is not a luxury reserved from a small political elite, but a fundamental human right that must be enjoyed by all.
Release the six accused now! Say no to intimidation and state repression! An injury to one is an injury to all!
For further comment, contact SAMWU’s International Officer Steve Faulkner, on =27 82 817 5455 or email Tahir Sema: email@example.com or +27 82 940 3403.
Lundi 19 mars le juge rendra son verdict dans le cas des 6 militants zimbabwéens dont le seul 'crime' a été d'organiser la projection d'un reportage sur le printemps égyptien. Arrêtés début 2011 - et pour certains, maltraités - par la police de Mugabe, ils risquent des peines d'au moins 6 à 10 ans.
Des messages textuels de protestation contre ce procès inique peuvent être envoyés à:
Police spokesman Wayne Bvudzijena + 263 712 801 172
Police Commissioner Augustine Chihuri + 263 712 808 290
Police Minister Kembo Mohadi +263 712 605 424
Security Minister Didymus Mutasa +263 0712 200 532